Saturday, 1 April 2017

Turner's Take #2 The Northern Lights

The Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights are a light show found at the high latitude regions (Arctic and Antarctic). The Northern Lights are created when the part of space  surrounding an object, or magnetosphere is greatly disturbed by the stream of charged particles released from the atmosphere of the sun, or solar wind. Trajectories of charged particles in both solar wind and magnetospheric plasma, precipitate them into the upper atmosphere, where their energy is lost. These particles are mainly in the form of electrons and protons. The excitation and ionization of the atmospheric constituents emits light of a wide range of colour, detail and complexity. The colours may be Red, Green, Blue, Ultraviolet, Infrared, and Yellow and Pink.

The Northern Lights I saw started off as a beautiful variety of colours from Green, to Pink. As we drove further inland, we passed over them and I saw them dancing. They were very cool as we drove under them. I saw each individual beam of light they were emitting. We stopped and watched their elegant dance for about 2 hours. They were absolutely spectacular! It was like a bunch of Green, moving, rainbows at night. When we were done, I was so happy to see them and check that off my bucket list, although that doesn’t mean I don’t have to see them ever again...believe me, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment