I have put off telling the world about our time in Rome because I am having difficulty finding words to describe what we are seeing and doing. Awe inspiring just doesn’t seem to be an adequate enough word and I can’t seem to find the vocabulary to support the beauty and glory of the art, architecture, and history of this city. Our friend Sharon travelling with Brett and I at the moment isn't able to either, so if two teachers and a fella with the gift of gab are unable to find descriptive words powerful enough to describe Rome, then you know you gotta come here. It's noisy, it's rambunctious, it's ostentatious. It's Rome.
Italy’s capital, Rome, is a sprawling, and cosmopolitan city with over 3,000 years of influence in art, architecture and culture on display. Ancient ruins like the Colosseum, the Forum, and Circus Maximus evoke the greatness of the former Roman Empire. We bought Rome Passes and Omnia cards in order to tour the city without the hassle of standing in lines and it was very much worth it to be able to skip the line. We were riding the yellow Omnia bus when we rounded a corner and I first laid eyes on the Colosseum. Jaw dropping, to say the least. I am quite sure if there had been video running it would be a contender for Canada’s Funniest Video. I had real difficulty picking my jaw up off the floor of the open top bus.
The Colosseum also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheater in the centre of the city. It was built of concrete and sand in 70 AD and it is the largest amphitheater ever built. Construction began under Emperor Vespasian in AD 72 and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. There are great parts of it that are mostly ruins thanks to earthquakes, stone robbers, tourists who felt the need to carve their name into the structure and generally time, but it is still huge and a marvel considering its age. It forces a moment to think of the tens of thousands of people murdered here for sport, and the animals slaughtered here for spectacle. Early Christians, slaves, gladiators, death hangs over this place, and it is a place that requires contemplation both for its past and for its longevity.
One of the things I really looked forward to was Vatican City, headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, and St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums, which house masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes. Again there are hardly words to describe the grandness of St. Peter’s Basilica. Michelangelo, Averulino, Maderno, Consorti, Bernini, Rusconi names of the best of the best in art and architecture had their hands in building and decorating this basilica. The works are truly inspiring, but one can’t help but notice the juxtaposition of the opulence of the church against the poverty of the adherents of Catholicism and ask how easy it would be to solve many of the world's problems with the financial resources housed inside the Vatican’s walls.
The Vatican Museum was a delight for a art lover like myself, though I might hazard a guess that my compatriots were not quite as inspired as I. The traffic in the museum makes it quite difficult to spend any time admiring the works and I rather much felt pushed along with the throngs just there to see the Sistine Chapel. I found the Raphael Rooms to be my favourite spot though I got but a moment to enjoy them. It is extremely hard for me to admit that the Sistine Chapel was a complete and utter disappointment. In our time slot, there seemed to be at least 1500 people in the chapel with us and it was almost impossible to even stand still and admire the works. No photos are allowed, which I completely understand, but the basso profondo voice, admonishing over a loudspeaker, “no photos, hats off, shhh, niente foto, giù i cappelli, silencio,” took every ounce of enjoyment out of my visit there. The work is amazing but the ability to enjoy it is completely lacking.
Another highlight of Rome is the Trevi Fountain. The design of the fountain was given to Bernini but after Pope Urban VIII died the contract was given to another artist. The Fontana di Trevi is in the Trevi district designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Pietro Bracci. Standing 26.3 metres high and 49.15 metres wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The fountain has appeared in several notable films, including Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita and the eponymous Three Coins in the Fountain.
The fountain is truly enormous, it is impossible to gage its size in pictures. With water pumping out of multiple sources and the large pool in front, the fountain spills about 80 000 cubic metres of water every day, no need to worry though, today the water is recycled rather than fresh. Don’t expect to get close to the fountain though, it is surrounded by tourists.
Today I spent the afternoon sitting in Piazza Navona. I came here to see the Fountain of the Four Rivers by Bernini The fountain consists of a towering obelisk that was recovered, at the behest of Pope Innocent X, from the ruins of the Circus of Maxentius, along the Appian Way. On the tip of the obelisk, on what used to be its pyramidion, there is a dove bearing an olive branch in its beak. There are four continents depicted in the fountain, in the 17th century, Europeans were still unaware that a fifth one, Australia, existed. Those continents are represented by the statues of four rivers; the Danube with a laurel wreath around his head, for Europe; the Nile with his head wrapped in a cloth to symbolize the fact that the river’s source was unknown, for Africa; the Ganges representing Asia; and the Rio de la Plata, with a garter on one leg, to represent America. I am in awe of the work of Bernini.
I am lucky enough to have 3 more days in Rome, days I intend to fill with ancient structures, amazing art, and history through the ages. Days in which I intend to eat gelato, drink espresso and eat amazing pasta.
Ciao,
Rachel




No comments:
Post a Comment