Every good adventure depends on good gear, and while I am not going in for all new gear there are certainly some things that we needed to update in our collection. In order to prepare for this adventure, I have purchased a few new travel accessories, the Genius Pack 25" and 29" upright hard sided luggage and a Vault Pro- Convertable Backpack from Magellan's travel gear, are what I will discuss today. I will be test driving both pieces on a week-long trip to Cuba starting tomorrow, and I have high hopes they work out.
First, the Magellan's Vault Pro Convertible backpack. Some really cool anti-theft features are built right into the backpack. This is how the Magellan's website describes the bag. "Carried over your shoulder, sling-style, or on your back, this sleek, ultra-secure bag is the ultimate in convenience for travel. Security features include stainless steel cable-reinforced, slash-proof straps, RFID-blocking card slots and lockable zippers. Perfectly sized to hold an iPad or other tablet, it has three zippered compartments for accessories, plus plenty of pouches and pockets to keep you organized. It even includes a detachable mini LED flashlight for easy identification of contents. Made of durable crinkle nylon. (12½ x 10¼ x 3½'; 15 oz)."
Love, love, love the security features, something I hope I will never be able to review. I had very high hopes for this bag, but I feel that it might not live up to my expectations. Bag finally arrived today, after almost a month in transit, and so far I am not impressed. I am willing to keep an open mind and I am test driving the bag in Cuba anyway. The bag was purchased for our two month long European adventure, not sure I'm going to be pleased. I like to compact nature of the bag, I like it's roomy compartments whether I have my iPad with me or not, and I think it will hold all the necessities for day to day use while travelling. I like the straps and the fact that it can be a backpack or a shoulder bag, though it seems very uncomfortable as a shoulder bag and the straps don't, so far, stay zipped completely. Upon inspection, the rear compartment had the lining zipped so tightly into the zipper that simply opening the zipper tore the lining. It is a small tear but not a great start to the bag, and with regular use the tear is likely to get bigger. There are two small snaps that allow access into the centre compartment where the rfid blocking, cell pouch etc is and both of these snaps are broken. One opening should not render a snap to come apart. The locking mechanism for the zippers is a great idea but is a bit fidgety and I can see this being so hard to use that it doesn't get used at all. Not a good anti-theft device if it is too difficult to use. Older arthritic fingers would not be able to use this feature at all. So, all in all I am willing to give the bag a go but based on first impression I couldn't recommend a bag that basically arrives from the retailer broken to anyone, especially not at this price point, which is $85USD, and a wicked shipping and handling fee when coming to Canada. What happened to free trade?
The second review is for the Genius Pack Hardsided upright spinner luggage. The Genius Pack website describes it thus, "We designed this crush-proof luggage to infuse hardside design with our signature "genius" features. We're proud to release the first hardside luggage with an interior organizational panel. Extremely lightweight & durable. Roll 360 degrees with 8 silent-gliding spinner wheels. Click in the zipper pullers to the integrated combination lock. Interior panel engineered with designated category compartments, permanent packing checklist to ensure you packed it all and secluded laundry compartment to keep your unclean clothes secluded. Relax & let your luggage do the work with this innovative hassle-free solution! If you're packing it- there's a spot for it."
I ordered both the 25" and 29" uprights and have to say that I really like the integrated pockets inside. I am not a small girl and I thought yeah right my undies are not fitting in a single compartment, but they absolutely do! On this trip, I am packing a few more things that are not coming home than I will be packing for our European adventure and this all stowed neatly in the laundry compartment. I love the idea of being able to keep clean and dirty clothes separate on a long trip. So far I would have to say that it packed well and is actually really light despite the pile of things I have put into it. I am using the 29" and Brett is using the 25", and we don't seem to be looking for places to stash things. One thing that I usually prefer which is missing from this bag is the tie down straps inside the bag. I prefer two separate ones left and right that I can cinch tight, allowing me to put shoes or whatever into the little crevices created by the cinching. This bag has only a single elastic clasp that holds things together from all 4 corners, and I saw things moving around inside when I closed the two halves together. Not necessarily a complaint, just something I usually prefer in my luggage. I suspect that if you are using packing cubes you wouldn't really care.
I will update my thoughts about these two products when we return from our little beach vacay. Heading to the sun and sand for a little R and R.
Cheers,
Rachel
This is all great information from a fellow traveller that I have stored for future use.
ReplyDeleteWill have a more complete review in May.
ReplyDelete