I have to admit that I love Cuba. I love the people, the weather, and mostly the juxtaposition of the old Spanish colonialism and post-revolutionary architecture. This trip was no different. We stayed at the Brisas del Caribe Resort in Varadero. Not a 5 star, but I wasn't paying for a five-star. In Cuba, you really need to step out of your comfort zone or drop the pretentiousness to have a good time.
One of the things necessary to have a good time in Cuba is an open mind. Cuba is a poor country, highly educated, high level of literacy and health care, but the revolution has not been good to Cuba. I don't think things would be a whole lot better had it not happened but let's face it poor Caribbean countries do not fare well, look at DR or Haiti as an example. The people I have met in Cuba are proud people, hardworking and kind. The shame of it is that in this last trip we traveled in a taxi to Havana with a driver who was a chemical engineer, and were served by a fabulous waiter in an a la carte restaurant who held a Ph.D. in Epidemiology! These two men made more money serving tourists than in their respective fields. What difference could be made in Cuba if these people went to work bettering the country? Enough of that...
The resort was a Cuban 3 star, which meant spotty hot water, not great food, and a budget room. Here's the thing though, that's exactly what I paid for. At less than $800 per person, I wasn't expecting a palace. We did have hot water every day, a clean, non moldy room, we didn't lose any weight, and we had a fabulous time on a beautiful beach, and came home with a hangover and a tan. Frankly, what more can you ask for? The resort and most of Cuba is falling apart. One day you are able to get hot coffee, without grounds, another the cappuccino machine is broken. This is the way of things in Cuba. Will your vacation be ruined if you don't have hot water today? If so, I would stay away from Cuba. If you are able to be flexible and love an adventure, give it a shot. I have usually come home quite happy.
I will return one day to Cuba, likely to spend several days in it capital, Havana, and like Papa Hemingway have developed a love for the country.
Cheers
Rachel


No comments:
Post a Comment